Apr 22, 2012

Readathon Wrap Up!

Hi friends!  Here to report my success/failure with my first 24-Hour Dewey’s Readathon:

I made it to about 2:00 am before giving out.  I could have pushed myself a bit further into the night, I’m sure, but my eye was twitching something awful (still is…combo of strain/allergies?) and the rest of the house was asleep, and I just gave in.  Here are the books I read at least some of yesterday for a total of somewhere around 500 pages:

book cover of Faery Tales and Nightmares by Melissa Marrbook cover of I've Got Your Number by Sophi Kinsellabook cover of Neversink by Barry Wolverton

  • Which hour was most daunting for you?
    18…I didn’t make it past that!
  • Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
    It’s hard to say since everyone has such different taste.  I suggest reading a genre you like, but especially something with a lot of action and a fast pace, and on the lighter side.  A readathon is no time to slog through some heavy epic like Proust.
  • Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
    Again, hard to say, this was my first time and I had fun.  I didn’t really participate in mini-challenges, and I’d like to try harder to do so next time.
  • What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
    I loved being able to see people’s updates through Twitter, it was a great way to encourage each other and interact with other participants.  The gifs also made me happy, though I’ll admit I was singing ‘I’ll Make a Man Out of You’ from Mulan all day as a result.
  • How many books did you read?
    I read at least part of 3 books, only finished on in its entirety, but considering it was a real adult book (I don’t read those often), I’m happy!
  • What were the names of the books you read?
    Faery Tales and Nightmares by Melissa Marr (read several short stories)
    I’ve Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
    Neversink by Barry Wolverton
  • Which book did you enjoy most?
    I am loving Neversink, I’ll probably finish it off today!
  • Which did you enjoy least?
    I’ve Got Your Number, but that’s not saying I didn’t enjoy it, I did!  Chick-lit is pretty new for me, and this one wasn’t a complete hit for me, whereas I love dark fantasy and middle grade, so the other two were more my ‘thing’.
  • How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
    Very!  I’d love to participate again in the fall.  I’d still like to just roll as a participant, but will hopefully participate a bit more in the hourly events.
  • 3 comments:

    1. I generally enjoy Sophie Kinsella, and Neversink sounds good. Glad you enjoyed your first readathon.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Look at you, reading for 18 hours! That's awesome. I feel like, somehow, as I've gotten older I've lost some of my ability to focus for long periods of time. But I'm definitely going to do this next year!
      Also, Neversink? It sounds so stinking cute, I can't wait to read it! So glad that you're loving it!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, it wasn't 18 hours non-stop. I took a break for a date, and got started about 2 hours late, but I still felt pretty productive!

        Delete

    Share your thoughts, I love to hear them!

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...