May 27, 2012

In My Mailbox (17)

IMM (17) Bunbury in the Stacks IMM (17) by Bunbury in the Stacks

In my mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren in which you share the books you added to your collection in the past week.

Hi friends! This week I totally busted my self-imposed library embargo in the attempt to secure reads that would satisfy my current reading cravings.  Plus I got a couple of bookish non-book related things!

First up was my Farenheit 451 shirt from Threadless.  This shirt first came out really early in Threadless history, something like 7 years ago.  I really wanted it at the time, but missed out.  Well, they finally reprinted it, so I had to splurge! 

With it is the start to my Margaret Dashwood Shawl, a pattern I’m working on from the new Jane Austen Knits magazine!  I don’t usually share my knitting on the blog, but since I picked up a whole slough of Jane Austen inspired patterns this week, I thought some of you Austen fans might like to see!  I think that at some point (like after I finish the 4 projects I’m currently working on), I’ll have to make the gorgeous Marianne’s Romantic Bookmark, and give it away on the blog!  I actually have the yarn for it on hand, but want to dye it first.


book cover of Dead Reckoning by Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghillbook cover of Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stonebook cover of Cinderella: Fables Are Forever by Chris Robersonbook cover of The Return Man by V.M. Zitobook cover of Hexed by Ilona Andrewsbook cover of Outlander by Diana Gabaldonbook cover of Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybournbook cover of The Swan Kingdom by Zoë Marirott

For Review from NetGalley:

Dead Reckoning by Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edgehill
So one of my all-time favorite authors writing alternate history old west with a girl who dresses as a boy, zombies, and steampunk?  How could I not sign up for that?! Actually finished this one already.  I had some issues, but still enjoyed the read, my review will be up tomorrow.  Thanks, Bloomsbury!

Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
As many people probably know, girls dressing up as boys is only one of the things that’ll make me pick up a book.  One of the others?  Time travel!  This one sounds interesting, and potentially cute, and I’m excited to check it out!  Thanks Disney-Hyperion.  I’m thankful that as a librarian I have the opportunity to preview Hyperion books.

Shameful Library Binge:

Cinderella: Fables Are Forever by Chris Roberson
I have been waiting for this one for months to satiate my Fables craving. I’m a bit wary since Patrick Rothfuss was pretty meh about it, but I’m trying to go in without expectations. I did very much like the first installment, From Fabletown With Love.

The Return Man by V.M. Zito
This one sounded like a potentially good zombie read, featuring the man who returns to the lands abandoned after the zombie apocalypse in order to provide families with the opportunity to have closure and bury their loved ones.  I’ll be honest though, I likely won’t get to this one atm.  The hold came in at an awkward time, and I’m not sure I can do 3 zombie reads in a row, which I would have to do to fit this one in!  I can always pick it up again later though, if anyone’s read this and has thoughts, let me know!

Hexed by Ilona Andrews (and others)
Hexed is a collection of 4 novellas, but we all know why I got it—to read Magic Dreams by Ilona Andrews!  Totally excited for some Jim and Dali story. 

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
I decided that even though I’m busy this summer, I’d sign up for the Outlander Read-a-long! Again…time travel. Not only time travel, but time travel involving Scotland and cute red headed boys.  Yes, please!

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn
I really don’t know much about this one other than it’s come highly recommended by Holly and Angie, and when it comes to this sort of thing, I take their word for it!  Think that this might be the perfect grown-up read to help me out of my YA funk.

Gifted

The Swan Kingdom by Zoë Marriott
Ever since I fell for her newest book, Shadows on the Moon, I’ve been dying to read Zoë Marriott’s backlog.  Debz, who loves fairy tale retellings quite possibly even more than I do, hosted a recent giveaway in which she offered a copy of one of the fairy tales she’s reviewed!  When I found out I won, it didn’t take me long to decide The Swan Kingdoms would be it for me.  Thanks so much again, Debz!

Two weeks of Bunburying

Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews
Railsea by China Miéville
Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
White Cat by Holly Black
Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty
The Prince Who Fell From the Sky by John Claude Bemis
The Fault in our Stars by John Green
Road to Avonlea

That’s it for me this week, what new reads have you picked up?  Who’s going to be at BEA? Find me and say hi!

11 comments:

  1. Oh yayyy you will be at BEA! I will definitely say hi because you are AWESOME!

    Also? I am so jealous that as a librarian you get net galley approval on books I am DYING to read! Ahhhh.

    That stated, Silent In The Grave is so good. Like, you will love Lady Julia Grey and Brisbane.

    And omg, where is the rest of Cinderella's outfit?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you KNOW how psyched I am that you are reading Outlander. PSYCHED. But Silent as the Grave?! Girl, that's AWESOME. You are about to start two fantastic series, my friend. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got quite the load this week! Looks good. Check out my mailbox: http://sandyfarmer.blogspot.com/2012/05/in-my-mailbox-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thanks for sharing the knitting! It looks pretty so far.

    And Time Between Us? I am so jealous. So tell me, I am an assistant librarian at my city library, which I mention in my Netgalley bio, but I've requested a librarian only title before and got turned down. Are they not reading my bio - or is there somewhere else in my profile I need to put that info? (I set it up as a blogger profile when I signed up.) Or maybe I'm just not high enough up in the ladder of librarians. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy all the great books you got this week!!! Now following you on Twitter (@walkinginsects). Check out what I got this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice list of books! The Outlander... one of my all time favorite books. You will fall in love with Jamie. I own both the anniversary version and the original copy... that's how much I love it. LoL
    Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will be at BEA and we totally need to get together and chat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time Between Us looks BRILLIANT. Enjoy all your fab looking books :)

    And I WILL BE AT BEA :) We need to meet up :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a Jane Austen knitting Magazine? Say what?!

    That's so exciting. I'm going to have to check it out. Unfortunately, my eyes are always quick to snap up patterns, while my hands are incredibly slow to actually finish them. I've currently got a couple projects that I've been working on for at least a month, even though they're super simple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read Farenheit 451, but I'm really digging that shirt.
    Also, you should share your knitting more because it's fun to see the things that you create :]

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Margaret Dashwood shawl!! Oh my, please post a photo when you're done. I love the Fahrenheit teeshirt, too, I've seen it around quite a bit recently.

    I had mixed feelings about SILENT IN THE GRAVE, so I'm curious what you'll think of it, Heidi. Happy reading, though, it looks like you have quite a bit to keep you busy. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, I love to hear them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...