Jan 24, 2012

Shorts: Thief! by Megan Whalen Turner

The Queen's Thief Week banner by Chachic's Book Nook

This week Chachic, over at Chachic’s Book Nook, is having a Queen’s Thief week!  Now I’m sad to admit I was oblivious to this series until last year, but since surfacing on my radar I feel like it’s being recommended constantly.  There are currently four books in the series (with covers so gorgeous I may swoon): 



Book cover of The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner Book cover of The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Book cover of The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Book cover of A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner

What better way to get my feet wet than with a short story?

Theif! by Megan Whalen Turner available here.
cover illustration for short story Thief! by Megan Whalen Turner
This short story (we’re talking a couple of pages people--now you have no excuse to not read it) tells the tale of a 10 year old Eugenides.  Gen, as he is called, was named after the God of Thieves, and is the grandson of the King’s Thief.  In the days of yore, the King’s Thief would gain the title by stealing a stone called Hamiathes Gift.  Long ago, however, the stone was lost, and the title became hereditary, passed down through generations.  Now, the title is considered largely honorary, but Gen is determined not only to gain the title, but to live up to it.  So I guess he ought to practice...

I am so intrigued in this story and its world after only such a short passage, I cannot wait to dive into the series!  A world in which a thief can be revered?  I mean, come on parents, why would you name your kid after the God of Thieves if you wanted him to grow up as anything else?  Even at 10, Gen has captured my heart as a good natured scallywag.  His brother, Stenides seems like the type you’d like to have around, and his cousins?  Potential future trouble with Phaedrus and Breia?  I hope so.

I'm currently digging further into this series myself, but if you'd like to learn more, or want to gush and enjoy the festivities (including some awesome readalike suggestions and a giveaway), make sure to check out Chachic's The Queen's Thief Week!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, thanks for putting up a post for Queen's Thief Week! It makes me happy that the short story made you even more curious about the series. Have you been able to borrow the books from the library? I remember you mentioned you're planning to read them soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I picked up Thief on my way home today. I was going to grab the whole series, but I was getting 'we're closing in 2 minutes' glares from the circulation clerks.

      Delete

Share your thoughts, I love to hear them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...